CSS Menu Button by Css3Menu.com
The EIC Model™
Environment as an Integrating Context for improving student learning
| SEER provides professional
development programs to meet the specific needs of
each school or school district. The programs are
highly interactive, and are designed to help
teachers achieve standards-based learning goals
through Environment-Based Education (EBE). SEER’s specialists train
interdisciplinary teams of teachers, administrators,
and community partners. They participate in these
institutes as teams and learn how to teach academic
content standards through community-based
investigations and environmental service-learning
In many cases, participants explore the components of the EIC Model™ and examine the EIC Model™ as a "system" that can be used to effectively address current challenges in education. The institutes help school teams develop the skills necessary to use the EIC Model™ to more effectively:
• identify community and natural settings that can be used as real-world contexts for EBE learning and instruction;
• integrate instruction and learning across traditional disciplines, using SEER's curriculum-mapping process to simultaneously address content standards from several core subjects (English language arts, math, science, history/social studies and, in some cases, art, music, and physical education);
• develop community-based investigations to serve as contexts for standards-based instruction;
• provide hands-on learning experiences through problem-solving and issue-based studies;
• employ context-based teaching methods to reinforce adopted instructional materials;
• work successfully in interdisciplinary team structures;
• develop learner-centered, constructivist approaches adapted to individual students and their unique skills and abilities; and,
• assess the effects on: student achievement, student behavior and attendance, and teacher motivation.
Click here for in-depth information about EIC Model™ Implementation Institutes.
State Education and Environment Roundtable
Founding Sponsor The Pew Charitable Trusts
Legal terms for use of this information.
The "EIC Model™" and "using the Environment as an Integrating Context for
learning (EIC Model™)" Copyright © 1997-2014. All rights reserved.
Last update 5/1/2014